Human Library ‘Books’ to Check Out at Friends of Crime Prevention
As we put the finishing touches on the Friends of Crime Prevention Human Library event, we wanted to share some of the human ‘books’ and ‘library subjects’ you will find that day! Such a rich diversity of experience, knowledge and community change! You will have to use your time wisely to visit even three of these fantastic books.
- Greg deGroot-Maggetti, Living Wage Waterloo Region & Walking with People in Poverty Program Coordinator, Mennonite Central Committee
- Douglas Bartholomew-Sanders, Commissioner Community Services, Region of Waterloo & Ex-Officio member of WRCPC
On problematic substance use:
- Paul Gregory, Coordinator, Waterloo Region Integrated Drugs Strategy
- Michael Beazely, Associate Professor & Associate Director, Curriculum, University of Waterloo School of Pharmacy & Education (Post-Secondary) sector representative for WRCPC
On neighbourhood environments:
- Courtney Didier, Executive Director, Alison Neighbourhood Community Centre
- Laurie Strome, Community Leader & Volunteer, Sunnydale Community Association
- Both Laurie & Courtney are Neighbourhood Development sector representatives for WRCPC
On family environments:
- Karen Spencer, Director of Client Services, Family & Children Services of Waterloo Region
- Mary Zilney, Executive Director, Women’s Crisis Services of Waterloo Region & Domestic Violence Response sector representative for WRCPC
On mental health:
- Don Roth, Director of Services, Canadian Mental Health Association Waterloo Wellington Dufferin & Mental Health (Adult) sector representative for WRCPC
- Nellie Manley, Director Community Services and Housing, Waterloo Region Homes for Mental Health
- Cheryl Grove, Social Planner on Housing Stability, Region of Waterloo
- Lynn Macaulay, Housing and Homelessness Umbrella Group (HHUG) Coordinator, Lutherwood
On youth support & engagement:
- Marla Pender, Youth Coordinator, City of Kitchener & Youth sector representative for WRCPC
- John Shewchuk, Chief Managing Officer, Waterloo Catholic District School Board & Education sector representative for WRCPC
- Peter Rubenschuh, Waterloo Region District School Board, Superintendent of Student Achievement and Well-Being & Education sector representative for WRCPC
What a collection!
Friday November 13, 2015
School of Social Work, Lyle Hallman Building
120 Duke Street West, Kitchener
(paid parking available at Kitchener City Hall. Entrance on Young Street, just across the street from the School of Social Work)
9:00 – 11:30 a.m.
Join us at 8:30 a.m. for our famous coffee social!
Tags: crime prevention, crime prevention through social development, friends of crime prevention, human library, root causes of crime, smart on crime